Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Tikka Masala by Seeds of Change Review. Fish Curry!






Don't know much about Tikka Masala? This is a classic example of how European needs changed Indian cooking. A restaurant in Scotland created a creamier, more tomato heavy version of the classic cooking from their homeland. This is now the most popular curry in the UK, and it's easy to see why.

This is our first review of a pre-produced sauce. It's made by Seeds of Change, is Organic, and has an OU Hechsher. Tikka Masala is tasty with everything; beef, chicken, fish, or tofu.

At first smell upon opening the jar, it was too tomato centric for me, but that would come out in the cooking process. Just to be sure, I combined it with a 1/4 cup of water, terriyaki, and garlic which I used to poach cod.

To make these curries, you complete the cooking process with whatever your protein is. In this case, after seasoning a 1/2 lb filet of cod with salt, I sauteed the fish for 4 minutes on each side with 1/2 an onion before adding 1/4 cup of water and 1 tbsp of terriyaki. I covered and let poach for 4 minutes, at which point I added half the jar of curry, covering the entire fish, and let that simmer for 10 minutes, as per the directions on the jar.

Let me tell you that this was simply delicious! Especially with the tone down on the tomato by adding the water and terriyaki. I cannot wait to try out more of these sauces, which can be found at Whole Foods in Boston, and I am sure many other places.

A shout out to Seeds of Change, who have done their part to preserve nature and fight against large seed monopoly player Monsanto. By preserving heirloom variety seeds, and donating 1% of their profits toward organic farming initiatives, this is truly a great organization to support.

On a scale of 1 to 7, I would say this is 6 and earned the title of curryrific!







Six Adrienne Curry faces- oh my!

1 comment:

  1. i just happened to buy a half pound cod fillet today, with no idea what to do with it. i just may give this a try. will report back on how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete